Elder Law Attorneys White Plains, NY
Reliable guidance and representation for seniors and their families in Westchester County
Elder law addresses the concerns that seniors and their loved ones have about the inevitable infirmity that comes with advancing age. As older adults become more dependent on services and the goodwill of those who provide them, they also become increasingly vulnerable to neglect and abuse. At Giannasca & Shook, PLLC, we’re motivated by a sense of justice and an appreciation of our common humanity to aid seniors and their families. We assert legal rights and implement legal protections to provide greater security so that our elder clients’ remaining years can be their very best years.
Understanding the basics of New York elder law
New York law gives seniors special protections against criminal scam artists and negligent service providers. The areas where we most often help senior clients include:
- Nursing home and assisted living services — Our attorneys assert nursing home residents’ rights and prosecute civil lawsuits in cases of nursing home abuse and neglect.
- Powers of attorney — We draft power of attorney documents for seniors who need assistance in managing their finances or making decisions about their health and welfare. We also assist seniors and their family members in establishing guardianships for vulnerable adults.
- Advance directives — We draft advance directives that allow seniors to select or decline life-saving emergency interventions in accordance with their wishes.
- Medicare rights — In disputes over reimbursements and eligibility for services, we assert our clients’ rights under federal law.
- Medicaid planning — As part of our estate planning services, we help clients structure their assets so they can qualify for nursing home services under Medicaid.
- Long-term care insurance claims — Many people bought long-term care insurance in anticipation of having to pay for nursing home services. Unfortunately, many insurers have not honored the terms of the policies they issued. We help seniors assert their rights under these policies.
In addition to being staunch advocates for elder rights, our attorneys provide a wide array of estate planning and asset protection strategies. Our senior clients can enjoy their property during their retirement and then transfer assets seamlessly to their heirs.
Contact our elder law attorneys in White Plains, NY for strong representation throughout Westchester County
At Giannasca & Shook, PLLC, we are passionate about protecting the rights of seniors with reliable advice and firm advocacy. Our personalized, hands-on legal approach to elder law can resolve your issues and give you greater peace of mind. To schedule a free consultation, call us at 914-872-6000 or contact our office online.